Friday 8 April 2016

The Second Chance Shoe Shop by Marcie Steele

Release Date: 8th April 2016
Publisher: Bookouture
Genres:  Women's Fiction

I am so excited to welcome Marcie Steele / Mel Sherratt to the blog today on this release day for her new book The Shoe Shop. Thank you to Marcie for agreeing to answer a few questions.

 AUTHOR INTERVIEW

Do you write under your real name or is this a pen name you use?

I write crime thrillers under my real name Mel Sherratt, and I women's fiction under the pen name of Marcie Steele.


Where are you from?

I come from, and still live, in Stoke-on-Trent. The city is famous for its pottery ware, such as Royal Doulton, Wedgwood and Moorcroft, as well as one famous member of the band, Take That, Robbie Williams. It's a small city in North Staffordshire.

List 3 interesting facts about yourself.

I wear my heels far too high when I’m going out.
I have a terrier named Dexter, after the television series of a serial killer.
I have never worked in a shoe shop.


What was the first thing you ever had published?

I had a true confession 1000 word article published in best magazine, which wasn't a true confession... It was a story I made up.

Do you have a writing routine?

I try to write between 9 am and midday most days. I'm an early riser and at my desk around 7:30-8.00. I have to start with a clear head, so I answer a few emails and messages on social media. Afterwards, I switch everything off, read the previous day's work and write 2000 words. The afternoons are then for editing, more social media and emails and things that come in throughout the day.

Do you have any writing rituals?

I don't have any rituals at all - how boring is that! Oh yes I do. I always have to have new notepad from Paperchase whenever I start a new book. 

Where did the idea for your most recent book come from?

I started to buy my shoes from Clarks shoe shop again. It was the place I used to go when I was younger with my mum and I can remember being measured for shoes. As the years went by, I wore higher and higher heels and sensible shoes were not what I wanted to buy. However, recently needing comfort after an injury to my back, I visited Clarks and was staggered at how fashionable and comfortable their shoes were. Over a few months, I got to know the staff, and I was always watching them flitting around the shop. At the time, I was writing the book with a group of women working in the offices of a shoe factory, but then I thought I’d use a shoe shop as my setting. That’s when everything else began to fall into place.

Who was the first person you shared your book with?

I always share my first draft with my best friend, Alison. It's a shame really because she never reads the finished product because she can't read it without all the twists and turns at she knows them already. She's great at making suggestions of twists and turns of her own too. She is the only person who sees it in the very first dirty draft stage. My editor sees it several drafts later.

Do you have a current work in progress?

I do but it isn't a Marcie book, it is a crime thriller drama called Lock up your daughter.

Do you have any advice for budding authors?

Find what you like reading, write something in that genre and you will enjoy it. Keep at it and don't give up. It's an emotional rollercoaster being a writer. It has its ups and downs like every other job, but it is a job and needs to be treated as such. Put in the hours, learn the trade and hone your skills. Put your own spin on things, find your own voice, and above all enjoy yourself.

Thanks so much Marcie / Mel.

Be sure to check out the social media links below, read the book blurb and go buy what sounds like a fab book! Don't forget to leave a review once you've read it! 

ABOUT MARCIE STEELE / MEL SHERRATT



Marcie Steele is better known as Mel Sherratt, but is romantic at heart and has always wanted to write about characters who were not necessarily involved in the darker side of life.
Coffee, cakes and friends are three of her favourite things.
As Mel, she writes crime thrillers, psychological suspense and fiction with a punch – or grit-lit, as she calls it.
Mel lives in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, with her husband and terrier, Dexter.



BOOK BLURB

All Riley Flynn wants is to meet someone who makes her happy. But attracting the right kind of man is not easy, and with her heart still hurting from her last break-up, Riley believes she’ll never find love again.

A year ago, Sadie Stewart’s whole world was shattered when her husband, Ross, died. She has struggled to keep herself together for the sake of their young daughter, but with the anniversary of his death approaching, Sadie finds herself overwhelmed by grief.

Sadie and Riley work at Chandlers shoe shop, in the charming town of Hedworth. But when Chandlers is threatened with closure, the friends are confronted with the loss of not only their jobs, but also their support network - the glue that holds them together when they are close to breaking.

As they put together a plan to save their beloved shop, Sadie realises that she might just be learning to live again. Could it be that new beginnings are just round the corner? The campaign also finds Riley unexpectedly crossing paths with charming photographer, Ethan. Maybe her second chance at love is right under her feet …

A delightfully romantic tale of love, friendship and putting your best foot forward, for fans of Carole Matthews and Amanda Prowse.


  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29532147-the-second-chance-shoe-shop?from_search=true&search_version=service

   http://amzn.to/1QXd4l1 

- Copyright © 2013-2014 Brook Cottage Books - Powered by Blogger - Graphics & Blog Customization by JellydogDesign